Join the Team
35 hours per week - Permanent
£Generous - Dependent on experience
We are looking for a highly motivated qualified Planner to work on major and iconic projects particularly in the rail environment but including renewable energy and residential developments. The role is based mainly in London with some UK travel and some limited opportunity for home working. The focus is on delivery of professional, effective and responsive services to major clients. You should be able to demonstrate excellent skills in preparing a range of planning documents generated from project information and communication abilities.
You should have Full Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute with experience in development planning or other planning policy formulation, of at least 2 years.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a practice focused on sustainable development, with highly experienced planners and major national project partners to take your career to the next level.
To apply send CV, including current salary, with letter detailing how you meet the person specification below:
Closing date: Sunday 22nd March 2020
ROLE: SENIOR PLANNER
AEC provides high quality expert and strategic advice and services to clients as part of a multi-disciplinary consultancy focused on achieving sustainable and low carbon infrastructure and residential development.
The experienced Senior Planner is expected to liaise with clients in order to provide core planning documents and submissions (applications/condition discharges/appeals) to achieve timely and successful permissions appropriate to the project’s needs and where necessary assist with project management.
Deliver professional and timely Planning services (advice, applications, reports, appeals, and community consultation) to a high standard in accordance with the overall project strategy and client expectations.
Actively growing AEC’s client base and contributing to fee turnover/selling the service, provision of Planning input in AEC project tenders, and pro-active marketing as an ambassador of the consultancy.
Planning and consenting strategy advice to inform client’s overall project plans.
Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and standards
Where relevant, project manage and coordinate input into project work, may be responsible for leading and supporting the work of others in the team.
Client satisfaction orientation in delivering Planning services with a professional attitude and enthusiasm as a Planning professional.
Where appropriate, all AEC staff are required to:
• Take ownership of, and contribute to, internal and external communications activity both in their job role and as part of AEC’s overall strategic objectives.
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to embracing and promoting a positive approach to the achievement of acceptance, openness, and equality of opportunity at work for people from under-represented groups (i.e. such as those with disabilities and from the LGBTQ+ and BAME communities).
• Promote and develop individual and company-wide activities which support and enhance environmental sustainability and health and safety objectives.
• Comply with Data Protection Policies when handling personal data in the course of employment including personal data relating to any employee, worker, contractor, customer, client, supplier or agent of the Company.
• Establish good working relationships with both internal and external clients and provide a high quality service which meets their needs.
Experience and Qualifications
• Undergraduate and/or postgraduate qualification in Town and Country / Regional Planning.
• Proven post graduate experience in a professional planning capacity.
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Experience of providing input to and delivery of complex planning projects.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
• Ability to communicate confidently in person, by telephone and over email with a wide range of people as part of strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Client and team focused.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong collaborative internal and external working relationships with colleagues and clients.
• Excellent Leadership skills.
• Strong presentation skills.
• Strong organisational skills and ability to manage time effectively, prioritise, manage multiple projects and deliver to tight deadlines, whilst maintaining a calm disposition under pressure.
• Self motivated and dedicated to Continued Professional Development.
• A ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to be proactive, to use initiative and work autonomously, as well as part of a team and a willingness to be based in different client offices and environments.
• Excellent attention to detail, consistency and accuracy and a proven track record of delivering projects to a high standard.
• Flexible and adaptable to change.
• Good understanding of UK Town and Country Planning Acts regime and procedures, some understanding of the Planning Act 2008 (Development Consent Order) regime would be an advantage.
• A planning/development specialism could be an advantage (eg. EIA expertise or architect/urban designer cum planner)
• Knowledge of community engagement techniques would be beneficial.
• Strong IT skills, with a good grasp of Microsoft Office (e.g. Word and Excel are essential) and Adobe Suite.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.